Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Brussel Sprouts

I've never liked brussel sprouts. I know people who love them and honestly, I think they (the people, not the vegetable) are sort of weird. Sorry. I just do.

But a few weeks ago, they were on sale at the produce market and I had this idea that I should buy them and roast them. I'm not really sure what possessed me. They sat in the refrigerator for almost two weeks. I hate wasting food, but I figured maybe $1.50 was the cost of having an idea.

Sunday morning I was at the produce market and stocked up. I'm not really sure what I was thinking. So Sunday night, I decided to roast a lot of vegetables. Asparagus, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, red peppers, carrots, eggplant, and yes, finally, the brussel sprouts. I might even be missing a vegetable or two from this list.

Everything (separately) got tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, except the chickpeas (which I forgot to mention) which had curry powder and the sweet potatoes that had the very last of my Old Bay. And I might as well say it now - Old Bay is the greatest spice ever.

Shockingly, the brussel sprouts were excellent. They are not my new favorite food - let's be clear. But they were really good. And everything else was pretty good too. Not that there was any reason to assume they wouldn't be, but you never know. The only thing that wasn't great were the carrots. They just never got sweet. They aren't bad, but definitely not the best.

The worst part about roasting - you can't get everything in the oven at the same time. I don't have that many oven racks (or that many baking sheets, for that matter) so the oven has to stay on, and at a high temperature for a long time.

The best part about roasting - getting someone else to do the chopping. And then eating, of course.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell a lie: when I got up to snack in the middle of the night, I ate brussel sprouts. (There, I said it.) Oh, and the carrots were good, too.

This is very convenient, like an online drive-thru window. Do I just type in what I'd like for dinner tonight?

Andrea said...

Absolutely - type whatever you want for dinner tonight. I'm telling you right now it's probably stir fry, so if you type that in, you'll get what you want!

Unknown said...

I am not weird. Cut up a few cloves of garlic and throw them in with some cabbage next time.

Dennis M. Kirschbaum said...

Roasted brussels sprouts are simply the best. Nothing weird about it. Roasted carrots are divine. And roasted potatoes!

Anonymous said...

Brussel sprouts may be wonderful - but "The BEST" are actually roasted SWEET potatoes and asparagus!