Sunday, October 01, 2006

Blogging for the Big Book

On most of the other Jewish blogs I've seen, this week has been full of profound thoughts, apologies to neighbors, and reflections on the year. I can only assume that this is how they've spent their time outside of blogging as well.

Me, not so much on the reflection or deep thoughts. Or apologies to neighbors. Last night, with just a little too much time on my hands, I applied to be a staff person on a birthright trip (sorry, a Taglit-birthright israel trip) run by another organizer. I know them well, but I admit to being only a little frightened that someone I didn't know (and who didn't know me) might see the application before the people I do know.

I got a response already this morning. From the person I know. He said that my ideas on celebrating Shabbat in a pluralistic community were creative but that he didn't think they would be able to implement any of them this winter. For example, I suggested re-examining the notion that Shabbat must be celebrated beginning Friday night. I think that starting with a few hours on Tuesday, finding a bit of Torah reading on Thursday, and finishing up with some time on Saturday was a way of integrating the concept of Shabbat into daily life. Evidently that's just not what it's about.

He ended his response wishing me lots of luck in getting my name put in the big book. I told him I forgave him and hoped to see his name there as well. The way I see it, I should probably figure out where I'm going to services before I can expect to see my name anywhere!

Lest you think that just because I'm practicing a more active secular Judaism that I don't think about Jewish things, I did have a Jewish question just this morning. I was talking to a friend about Jonah (you know, the guy who got swallowed by the whale). Jonah is read in the afternoon service of Yom Kippur. Why is it that the only person who gets to eat on YK is the whale? This is how I'm going to spend my day tomorrow - trying to answer this question.

If you've got answers, let me know. If you're fasting, I hope it's an easy one. If you're not, I hope it's worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post.

my web-site: auto insurance quotes Free