Saturday, February 02, 2008

Bad Oatmeal

Evidently it IS possible to make bad oatmeal. Or at least accidently make it too bad to eat.

I am pretty good at making oatmeal. Not the instant kind. I'm not big on measuring, but if you mix some water, oats, dried fruit (usually raisins, cherries or cranberries), cinnamon and maybe a little soymilk around on the stove for a while, at some point, you've got pretty good oatmeal.

This morning I was not so lucky. First, the only oats I had in the house were quick-cooking that I'd made some cookies with before I went to Israel. So that threw me off my game to start with. And then, there were only dried cherries. Always good, but it's nice to have a little variety. And then, there was the cinnamon. On the second shake, the lid fell off the jar. It didn't look like THAT much cinnamon.

I was wrong. The oatmeal was virtually inedible. I say virtually because Ronnie still ate it. I'm not sure why. Or how. I got a few spoonfuls in to my bowl and decided it was subconcious portion-control. The rest got thrown away. At least our garbage will smell good.

No comments: