Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weather or Not...

I had to be at a birthday party in Chicago this morning. The news called for another foot of snow overnight, so I figured to be on the safe side, I should go the night before and at least be that much closer.

Last night saw no snow and no rain. And it was relatively warm (you know it's mid-winter when 40 degrees feels warm).

This morning saw no snow and just a little rain and temperatures in the mid to upper 40s. Needless to say, I could have driven down this morning (but then I would have missed the plans I'd then made for last night in Chicago, but that's a different story). The problem with warm rain is that the snow melts and uncovers an icy underbelly. Walking anywhere is difficult unless it's a well-traveled path, which then usually means you're in the middle of the road, which is not a good place to be if, in fact it is well-traveled.

Getting into the birthday party (and then back out) was a challenge. I did not, however, embarrass myself or amuse my hosts by falling down. Actually, I'm not sure my hosts would have been amused, but their children most definitely would have been.

Tonight, the temperatures are finally dropping and rumor has it we'll get only 3-4 inches of snow. At this point in the winter, that's practically nothing. Still annoying, but not enough to get crazy about anymore....

No comments: