Wednesday, May 31, 2006

They're gone!

I shouldn't sound too excited. There are still 20 buses left to go, but the first group is gone and we've got no one to be responsible for for the next almost week.

At some point I should just write a book about bathroom stories in Israel. Today's story: I was in a cafe (appropriately called Coffee Shop) on Emek Refaim - a trendy street filled with little boutiques and cafes. I go to the bathroom. You open the door, and there is a sink, and then two doors and an alcove. The doors each lead to a toilet, and the alcove a urinal. So that it's possible to walk out of the toilet and encounter someone using the urinal. This is also a country where men just stop on the side of the road and go. Not walking into the woods or even a few feet away from their cars. I'm mainly relieved that in all cases I've seen, they aren't facing the road.

I'm headed back to Emek tonight for a street festival in honor of Shavuot, which begins tomorrow night. Should be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Relieved" are you, eh? You too?