Thursday, June 15, 2006

Judaism is NOT a religion

I stayed out of the room when Avraham Infeld (Hillel president) spoke a few days ago. This morning I probably won't be so lucky. He gives a great speech (always the same) about a five-legged stool. The legs are each Jewish concepts/values, and if each Jew just picked three, not even all five, then we'd always have something in common. The students love it. As he's speaking, there are a few of us that feel like we're at a concert, mouthing the words as he says them. The classic line (it's like going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show) is "Judaism is not a religion". But you have to hear it in a low, bellowed, South African accent. For the life of me now, I can't remember what the different legs are.... Good thing I'm going back today.

And then, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, but I'm going to the Hava v'Adam (Adam and Eve) Farm. It's a crunchy/granola self-sustaining, don't bring anything in that you're not planning on taking out with you, kind of place. It's a stop on our environmental bus and should be interesting....

No comments: