Saturday, June 17, 2006

More nicknames

Another staff oneg, another round of nicknames. You know the drill -
Given names: Julie, Tal, Daniel, Danny, Sarah, Phil, Shira, Rachael, Sara
Nicknames: Danimal, Ray Ray, Sauce, Shrosin, Skippy, Toosh, Curly, Wadball and Doobage

This Shabbat, I was at the Ceasar Hotel. I think the decor could be described as early 70's chic. When I checked in, there was a plate of cookies and a beautiful fruit tray waiting for me. I brought the fruit to the staff oneg, and when I returned later that night, I found that the cookies had attracted a large number of ants. Ewwww.

And, since I've often mentioned the state of Israeli hotel bathrooms.... The tiles on the walls and floor were a dark blue. The shower curtain was dark, and there were only lights by the sink. Who designs these rooms?!

As is typical on a Saturday night in Jerusalem when we have a lot of buses, we went to the Campus Club after Havdalah. There's a great place across the street that sells calzone sorts of things and borekas. What I learned tonight, is that the world of borekas is a complicated one. There are triangle-shaped ones called "turchies" (or at least that what I think the sign said", regular borekas shaped ones, appropriately called "borekas", and round ones that look like mini-cinnamon buns called "shniks" (or sniks?). And within each of these categories, you could choose different flavors - but not all flavors came in each type. There were cheese, potato, apple, mushroom, and a few we weren't really sure about. And if you just got the triangle ones, you had to separate the cheese ones and the potato ones in order to tell them apart, since they both had sesame seeds (as opposed to the mushroom ones that had poppy seeds).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog
and I'm impressed! Extremely helpful information specifically the last part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

Look at my page ... compare online car insurance quotes