Tuesday, June 06, 2006

To and Fro

We left for the airport this morning at 7:15am. The first two flights were arriving at 8:10am. At 8:15am we were the second car one stop light away from entering the airport. At which point a security guy in an SUV blocked the road, got out of his car, and then pulled out his Uzi. Ok, I don't really know what kind of gun it was, but it wasn't a rifle, it wasn't a pistol, and it probably wasn't a big machine gun. It was nevertheless a bit out of the ordinary. 8 minutes later we were on our way....

On the way back tonight, we took the train from Haifa. It's a really nice train, air-conditioned (way, way too cold for me), and goes along the coast. It's pretty beautiful. Esther and Sarah sat with two soldiers, and I sat across the aisle from them with an older couple who were clearly not happy to be sharing the four seats that they were otherwise occupying. To the best of my knowledge, they had only paid for two, so I sat down. They also weren't so happy when I pulled out my remaining 1/2 bottle of water. I couldn't tell if they were upset that I didn't offer them any, or that in pulling out my 1/2 bottle of water, that my bag accidently touched on of their bags sitting on the third seat. I'm not sure who was happier when it was time for them to get off. Well, actually I do.

No comments: